The Network Personal Computer Technician performs installation, maintenance and repair of the college’s network infrastructure and supports computers, servers, printers and scanners. S/he also provides Tier 1 support on network and telephony issues and serves as a backup to the Network Administrator. S/he installs, maintains, supports, operates classroom technology, security cameras, hardware and software installs in the instructional environment and employee offices. S/he performs routine troubleshooting and problem resolution, both on-site and over the phone for network related requests at the device level and also at the access and distribution layers. Serves as a resource on telecommunications and network infrastructure projects. The technician helps to establish the design, development, documentation, analysis, creation, testing or modification of computer systems or programs, including prototypes, based on and related to user or system design specifications. Additionally, the technician will assist in the design, documentation, testing, creation or modification of computer programs related to machine operating systems. S/he is a contact with state agencies for network and telephone connectivity issues. S/he works with faculty and staff to help them decide on hardware and software needs. S/he prepares reports, maintenance records and inventory paperwork, and performs other duties as assigned.
• Provides hardware, software and maintenance and troubleshoot support for Network, telephones, desktops, laptops, printers, lab computers, classroom audiovisual, wireless access points and security cameras.
• Completes documentation such as maintenance records and inventory transfer forms on time. Delivers required metrics and measurements on schedule.
• Configures and installs wireless access points
• Works with vendors on warranty issues and problem resolution
• Assists Network Administrator, Systems Administrators, AV and PC Technicians as needed
• Updates the Operations / Security Manager on hardware/software issues.
• Performs system and problem analysis on Service Requests
• Demonstrated proficiency in the operation of personal computers, printers, scanners audiovisual equipment and digital cameras
• Operates audiovisual equipment for college and community events. (Approximately 300 annually, including multiple graduations and award ceremonies). Receives requests and coordinates setup for events. manages sound, coordinates live streaming, and operates video during events as needed
• Maintains, troubleshoots and repairs AV equipment for faculty and staff and/or oversees the repair of equipment by outside vendors (approximately 480 classrooms equipped with AV equipment such as projector and document camera)
• Supports Instruction requirements and Services Requests as a priority
• Uses good judgement based on organizational policies and expectations
• Performs routine equipment maintenance and scheduled repairs
• Assists with server software installs, imaging, setup users, printers and computers for network access.
• Installs software from network or individually on computers
• Relocates computers as needed (Office and labs.) Ensures inventory documents are completed timely and are both accurate and precise
• Works with vendors on warranty issues and problem resolution.
• Assists supervisor in the room design and the writing of bids for audio-visual installations
• Trains faculty and staff in the use of audiovisual equipment and solves operational problems
• Configure/install/assist in the replacement of labs and imaging of labs for classes
• Demonstrate and model the College’s employability skills: adaptability, communication, information processing, problem solving, responsibility and teamwork
• Balancing daily challenges with automating / documenting procedures
• Managing ongoing projects and high priority daily break/fix issues
• Managing Service Requests with insufficient information
• Lean staffing does not meet the needs of an expanding institution
• Daily: Operations / Security manager for tasks and assignments
• Daily: Network Administrator about Service Requests and ticket queues
• Weekly: Operations group for staff meetings to share tasks and project updates
• Daily: Consulting with users to determine hardware, software or system functional specifications
• Associates degree in information technology (computer science, computer information systems, programming or other related field) from a regionally accredited post-secondary institution.
• Network+ or similar certification(must obtain within 6 months of hire date)
• Bachelor’s degree in information technology (computer science, computer information systems, programming or other related field) from a regionally accredited post-secondary institution is strongly preferred.
• Cisco CCNA certification strongly preferred
• MCSE, MCP, Network +, INET + preferred
• CompTIA A+ preferred
• Three years of experience in a technical support related field.
• Three years of work experience in IT field
• Experience with Bomgar and SCCM solutions.
• Experience with Enterprise Service Desk software.
• Experience with AV solutions to include CCTV
• Demonstrated knowledge in network concepts and communication protocols
• Demonstrated knowledge of Cisco Layer 2 and Layer 3 hardware
• Demonstrated knowledge in operating audiovisual equipment.
• Demonstrated knowledge in current versions of Windows Operating System and Apple IOS
• Demonstrated knowledge of wireless solution equipment
• Ability to analyze problems, identify alternative solutions, project consequences of proposed actions and implement recommendations in support of goals.
• Proficient in email, MS Office, virus protection software and other common college software applications.
• Strong organization and problem solving skills
• Must have a valid NC driver’s license
The following (compliance) training is required and must be completed within the first 30 days of hire with annual refresher training thereafter:
• Safety/Shooter on Campus
• Personal Information Protection Training (PIP)
• Anti-Discrimination/Harassment & Title IX
• Other training may be required as determined applicable.
Physical Activity:Primarily sitting