Communications and Public Relations Manager
Southern Public Power District, with headquarters in Grand Island, Nebraska, is an electric distribution utility serving 27,000 customers in a seven-county area of south central Nebraska. The District is seeking a Public Relations Manager to manage all communication-related activities of the District. This is a senior management position reporting directly to the President/CEO. Further information on this position and the District may be found at southernpd.com. A Bachelor's degree in Journalism/Mass Communications or a related field is required. Experience in desktop publishing, public speaking and communications planning is preferred. Applications should include a cover letter, resume and references to Neal Niedfeldt, firstname.lastname@example.org, PO Box 1687, Grand Island, NE 68802-1687.
Essential functions include the following:
- Communicating the District’s Mission Statement, Strategic Goals and policies to provide direction for the employees of the District.
- Maintain effective internal and external relationships in order to gather, interpret and share information with employees, customers and the general public.
- Serve as the media contact for all general inquiries, while developing positive relationships with reporters and editors.
- Provide real-time communication with customers and the media during power outage events, providing information via social media channels and media interviews.
- Coordinate the District’s public relations efforts by planning campaigns to address key topics including safety, energy efficiency, district policies and other relevant topics.
- Prepare, edit and publish various publications within a rigid schedule of deadlines. Tasks performed will include content development, photography, and design. Publications will reflect high quality and uniform branding. Methods of outreach to manage the District’s communication efforts include, but are not limited to:
- Bi-Monthly 8-page Magazine; Newsletters; Social Media; Website; Paid advertising and sponsorships
- Oversee the function of the District’s development fund, promoting the program to customers and facilitating board meetings and special activities.
- Conduct customer surveys and interpret data in order to assist the District in determining the services desired by our customers.